I don’t remember the last time I cleaned my makeup brushes, so I knew they were due. Cleaning your makeup brushes is an important step to your beauty routine but it’s something you probably rarely think to do (like me). The makeup and oil trapped in your brushes can cause breakouts and a dirty brush simply isn’t good to use on your skin in general.
I decided to take the time to clean my brushes today and I used Lauren Conrad’s method from her website.Below is the guide from LaurenConrad.com but first things first:
- I do not own a daily brush cleaner, so I skipped that step.
- I used paper towels instead of a lint cloth
- I used hand soap instead of shampoo.
and it worked fine for me!
“The first step to keeping your brushes clean is picking up a daily brush cleaner and spritzing it on your brushes after each use (I like Sephora’s Daily Brush Cleaner). Once a week, it’s time for a deep cleaning. (Note that your brushes will need a few hours to dry after a deep cleaning, so I’d recommend washing them after you’ve applied your makeup that day.)Here’s the right way to deep clean your makeup brushes…You will need:
• A shallow bowl
• Gentle clarifying shampoo or baby shampoo
• Your sink
• A lint free cloth
- Begin by running your brushes under lukewarm water, rinsing out all of the residual makeup. Try to focus on the actual bristles while avoiding the part of the brush where handle meets the head, as this can loosen the glue over time
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and a squirt of shampoo, and gently swirl your brush tip in the water. If you need to, you can also swirl the brush in the palm of your hand to work up a lather.
- Rinse the brush tip under running water once again. Repeat steps two and three until the water runs clear from the brush,
- Use a cloth to wipe your brush clean, reshaping the bristles as you go.
- Lay your brushes flat on a cloth to dry.
I hope this helps and I also hope this motivates you to actually clean your brushes if you haven’t in a while. Your skin is such an important part of your body and your beauty so take care of it!! I cleaned my mom’s brushes for her because she never does it.
Good luck :)xoxo
Good luck :)xoxo